The role of the statement of purpose in graduate school admissions
There’s no escape to writing down your admission essays if you intend to apply for graduate studies. Again, referring to a sample graduate school essay would work for your advantage. It cannot be denied that admission process for graduate schools is competitive; you have to stand out through a well-written admission essay.
The statement of purpose is obviously an important portion of the sample graduate school essay. A good sample graduate school essay has a convincing statement of purpose. The statement of purpose is the part in the sample graduate school essay that persuades the faculty and/or admission committee. A sample graduate school essay can be a general essay but portions such as the statement of purpose are directed specifically to the school and faculty and/or committee that will review your essay. You will learn from the sample graduate school essay that it is important to know who your audience will be. The statement of purpose is actually the portion of the sample graduate school essay wherein you’ll have to put much consideration on your purpose and audience.
A sample graduate school essay would suggest that, in writing your statement of purpose, you should be able to answer the faculty’s questions such as:
• Why do want to pursue graduate study?
• What made you choose the graduate program?
• Who are you and what can we expect from you?
These are just the general questions and you might still need to expound on your answers. Of course, you should consider and observe the guidelines such as word count that varies depending on the program or school when writing your statement of purpose. From a sample graduate school essay, you’ll see why writing an effective statement of purpose is important:
• The statement of purpose is the part in the sample graduate school essay that allows you to speak directly to the committee.
• The statement of purpose is the part in the sample graduate school essay that lets you introduce yourself and talk about your experiences and career goals.
• The statement of your purpose is your chance to convince the committee that you qualify for admission in the graduate program you chose and that you have what it takes to belong in their graduate school.
Don’t get carried away though, when writing your statement of purpose. Do not write an autobiography or an emphatic story of your life. Be professional with your tone and avoid using vague words without further explanations.